Safety Tips for the Thanksgiving Holiday
Our Florida public adjusters provide more than just solutions for homeowners after a storm has damaged their property.
We are also homeowner advocates who provide tips on how to keep you, your family, and your property safe during one of the busiest holidays of the year: Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving is the leading day for home cooking fires throughout the U.S.
Here are a few safety tips for keeping the fire department from making an unwanted appearance at your home.
Top Safety Tips for the Thanksgiving Holiday
Because of the extravagant meals that coincide with the Thanksgiving holiday and the fact that the host is often cooking for large groups of people cooking causes almost half of all reported home fires and home fire injuries throughout the U.S. each year
Unattended cooking was the leading contributing factor in cooking fires and fire deaths.
Here is how you can minimize the potential dangers associated with an important celebration:
- Test all smoke alarms regularly, especially before gatherings, and replace the batteries twice a year
- Have (and know how to use) an easily accessible fire extinguisher in your kitchen
- Thoroughly wash hands, utensils, and surfaces thoroughly before, during, and after food preparation
- Remain in the kitchen when cooking, so you can catch any potential fire hazards before they escalate
- Avoid any potential fires hazards that may come from a stove, oven, or grill’s flame, including oven mitts, dish towels, plastic wrappers, or bags.
- Never leave the home while the oven is on, and be sure to check on its contents frequently
- Always use a meat thermometer to ensure food is fully prepared before serving
- Keep all children away from the stove, hot food, and liquids to avoid burn injuries
- Keep all knives and sharp objects out of the reach of children.
- Keep all electrical cords in a safe place, to avoid tripping dangers or shock injuries
- Keep lighters, matches, and other potential fire hazards like candles out of reach and in a safe place
- Keep the floors clear to avoid tripping hazards
We hope that you have a wonderful, safe, and celebratory Thanksgiving holiday!
If your home does suffer damage before, during, or after your guests arrive, contact our skilled Public Adjuster in Boca Raton, Florida today to schedule a free consultation and learn how we can produce solutions for your unique recovery needs by calling 844-967-8676, so you do not have to face the insurance company alone.